Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Letter from Mama Nov. 3, 1999

Karen -

After our phone conversation I've tried to figure out some reasonable plan or when I would be incapacitated and unable to make sensible decisions.

The difference in the Health Care systems of U.S.A. & England have to be taken into consideration.

Here, when an individual is treated for stroke or other dehabilitating illness - a System kicks in - Some Hospitalization - Doctor - Insurance and probably a Social Worker re: Pat Scherer - make recommendations based on who is going to be financially responsible for the expenses of the individual and what Medicare will cover. What Aetna Insurance will cover and what they won't. This is crucial!!

Neither pay for Health Assisted Living.

Should I need that kind of care - the house will have to be sold, but until it is sold the Home Equity payments must be made.

Presently my S.S. check & small pension check are directly deposited and the payment of Home Equity is taken out. Thse Checks will stop immediately on my death.

If I need to be placed either in Health Assisted or Nursing Home Care, usually the Hospital Social Worker finds the place that has accommodations and makes the arrangements, for the family - the financial responsibility takes into consideration of my assents - and how long they will last. When all assts are exhausted then Medicaid kicks in, IF such a facility is available.

Some H.S. and N.H. allow an individual to bring items from home - a chair - T.V. but not much.

Jane Sargeant in H.A. was able to furnish her apartment with her own items at New England Club, but the new management is closing much of H.A. - too expensive. Jane paid $2000 a month.

So for me to specify where to put me in the Cincy (area) it is not possible.

Yes, I am fond of myh bedroom stuff - also the new little living room couch. My family pictures are important to me as your paintings and Allan's - Joyce's handiwork - Very difficult to select at this stage.

However, I like nighties with satin on the outside and flannel? on the inside - cozy, light white robes - bed socks if needed - shawls (I have several) - lots of light.

This probably isn't a lot of help. My Power of Attorney for Health Matters leaves decisions to Marshall and Austin and You.

Marshall did not want the total responsibility for decision making so I changed things a year ago.

Well, I hope this gives you some directions. I'll send Marshall and Austin a copy.

Love from
Mama

*Note - Mama (now Angel Lois) wrote this on legal sized paper - which she had made copies. It's interesting how her wishes were met by coming here with me to live in "The Cottage" 2006-2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment